Monday, August 16, 2010

Cappex - College Search Site

As a part of my studies I was introduced to a web site called Cappex.  Its tag line is "College search made simple."  There are several aspects to the site for students, as well as a portion geared toward college counselors.

On the student side of things, you can set up a profile that is then used by Cappex to find matches for you.  You receive information about colleges that might be a good fit, and if you see one that looks promising, you can contact the school.  You can also apply for Cappex scholarships once you have your profile established, though I don't know much about that yet.

Under the Tools tab you can find a collection of 16 articles about the college application process.  The articles are filed under the categories of Prepare, Plan, Apply, and Decide.  The Student Chances tab is described as follows:
The Cappex "What Are My Chances?" Calculator is a powerful college search tool designed to help set student expectations. The Calculator instantly tells you a student's chances of being admitted to almost any college in country. This isn't the final word on admissions, but, along with your counseling, it can be a valuable tool.
 As a counselor, I can associate my account with my students' accounts and monitor searches and such via the site.

I played with the Scattergram tool for a little while, investigating UCLA's scattergram.  This is designed to show who is getting into schools (based only on GPAs and ACT/SAT scores).  I chose UCLA as it is my alma mater.  :) 

For a review of Cappex you can check out this post at EDU in review.

No comments:

Post a Comment